Monday, June 13, 2011

Misconception

I am very excited about actively riding again. And, of course, I frequent Facebook. Since reporting my recent lesson and plans to send Diesel to the trainer, I've had lots of feedback. Almost everyone has said with disdain, "Why? You don't need lessons. You know how to ride. Train him yourself.". Everyone who has ever ridden a couple of times as a kid is an expert. This banter immediately tells me who has no real understanding of how horses work. And it tells me how few real horse people are in my life. Both realizations make me sad.

The best athletes still have a coach. World record holders still train with others. Why should it be any different with horses? I find that the more years I have horses, the more I don't know. I got my first horse 18 years ago and began before that with lessons that continued for years. But, I have not worked with a trainer in 14 years. I'd say it's about time.

I am looking for someone to critique my riding and see what I don't see. I want to be a better rider. I am not at all athletic. You can't tell me I don't need a coach. Not to mention it is fun. And, I need to get my confidence back. Plus, my Diesel is alot of horse with little experience and alot of potential. I want to do right with him. There are lots of reasons why I should spend the money and do this.

Diesel goes to C/J Performance Horses this evening. I do not feel bad about this decision. I think it is worth every penny.

No comments: