Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Lesson Log

I am not the most coordinated person.  So, the following are a few things I need to remember:

- Legs forward to stop and use pelvis
- Cue for lope by doing the ballerina move (bring foot straight up toward the mental butt)
- STOP using your hands to turn the horse- she does fine with leg pressure only!
- Use your calf pressure (not heel) to turn but keep body straight
- To back up:  keep my body straight, make sure horse is squared up, ask for reverse with legs    forward and light pressure on mouth, stop after a few steps back and wait- teaching patience
-  Practice figure 8's with leg pressure- gradually make smaller until only pivoting
- Practice lope transitions by squaring up, ask for lope, slide stop, back up, repeat.  Remember: ballerina move while putting opposite toe out.  This transition teaches horse to use back end and collect.
- PRACTICE!

Lessons have been so much fun.  I am really enjoying it.  Non-horsey people keep asking me why I need lessons.  They thought I new how to ride since I have had horses for 20 years.  They just don't get it.  It is an adventure and I want to be better at it.  It is really great to find a teacher who has the skills and talent to communicate it.  Did I mention this is fun! 


   
   

No comments: