Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Budgeting

My parents always worried because I am a spender; they are not. To teach me a lesson they insisted I save up for my first horse. The hope was that I'd learn the value of a dollar and at the same time lose interest in horses. Horses are unpredictable, dangerous, and expensive. What they didn't consider is how stubborn I am. Much to their dismay, I got a job at 14 years old working at the stable way too many hours a week. How can you stop me from working? My grades stayed up and I was out of trouble, for once. I had to save up for a truck so I could get to my future horse. I had to work for gas money to get to the stable. Two long years later came Miss Priss.

Some things never change. Sixteen years later I still work hard so Miss Priss can have a good life. Consequently, I have a good life, too. I still spend every extra penny on horses. Only now, I have two aging horses, one young lame horse, and a vocal companion donkey. And I have none I can ride hard. Miss Priss is rideable at a walk for short distances on good footing. Becca may be retrainable after a back injury years ago but is not a very good trail horse because of her frightful nature. And Diesel, who was becoming an impressive and talented mount, is permanently lame due to navicular disease. He is not responding to treatment and will return to the vet in January to collaborate with a farrier who specializes in corrective shoeing.

Caring for 4 equines is as much as my teacher salary can afford. I've considered letting my internet and satellite tv lapse to offset extra medical bills associated with aging and injured horses. I'm left with riding only when a friend has a spare horse. I am blessed to have such a generous friend. I've enjoyed a fun parade ride and a long ride around the fields recently. Annie was a perfectly mannered, steady mount at the lighted Christmas parade. Her sister, Kate, took me out for several hours without incident. I'd like to own a good, solid horse like either of these ladies. For now, I'll settle for an occasional borrowed ride. Even I know when I'm over my head financially. I'm trying...and failing... to save for a barn and arena. This year I've struggled to break even financially. It is frustrating. But I know that I am in very good shape considering many people aren't as well off as I am. The cost of caring for horses has tripled in the last few years. Construction supplies are increasingly expensive. And incomes are lower.

I look out in the pasture at my aging and broken herd and know that I've made the right decision for their retirement. I owe it to all of them to support them after their usefulness is over. I think that as the years progress the number of retired horses in my care will only increase. But, I still crave the chance to once again search for my next horse with hopes that it will be as fine of an animal as Prissy has been. For now, call me the Big Pony Spender.

No comments: